Academic Suspension Information
Being Placed on Academic Suspension
Students are subject to suspension if:
- They fail to earn a 2.0 term GPA for any term while on probation.
- They have three consecutive UK terms in which their cumulative GPA remains below 2.0.
- Their GPA is below 0.6 after their first term, if the semester’s GPA is based on at least 9 hours of grades, A, B, C, D, or E.
A student academically suspended from the University may not enroll in any courses offered by the University of Kentucky including evening courses, off-campus courses, independent study courses, summer school, distance learning courses, or by special examination for University credit. A student under first academic suspension may not be reinstated until he/she has remained out of the University for a semester and a summer session (one semester for a student suspended at the end of summer session). A student under second suspension may not be reinstated until he/she has remained out of the University for two years.
There is no immediate or automatic reinstatement in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Reinstatement After a First Suspension
After a student has remained out of the University for at least a semester and a summer session, (one semester for a student suspended at the end of a summer session), students may call for a reinstatement appointment with the college in which they plan to enroll and the student should expect to present evidence that they are capable of performing at the level required to prevent being suspended a second time.
Reinstatement After a Second Suspension
Students under a second suspension must remain out of the university for two years before the College of Arts and Sciences will hear a request for reinstatement. A student who has been suspended from the University a “second” time shall not be readmitted to the University except in unusual circumstances and then only upon recommendation of the dean of the college in which the student plans to enroll and approval of the University Senate Council.
Important Calendar Deadlines for Arranging Reintstatement Appointments
You may be wondering why we impose calendar deadlines for reinstatement appointments after an academic suspension. The deadlines help ensure that you will be eligible for an early Big Blue Nation Orientation. Course availability is best only if you participate in one of these orientations. Since a reinstated student returns to UK on academic probation and is subject to another academic suspension review at the end of the reinstated term, we want to do everything possible to help ensure you are placed in a good position for course selection.
If you are reinstated, your participation in the Big Blue Nation Orientation for readmitted students is an important step in a strategy for academic success.
Reinstatement After a First Suspension:
- After you have remained out of the University for at least a semester and a summer session, (one semester for a student suspended at the end of a summer session)
- For 1st reinstatement to a Fall Term: You must apply by May 15 for a reinstatement appointment
- For 1st reinstatement to a Spring Term: You must apply by October 1 for a reinstatement appointment
- You may only have one appointment per term.
Reinstatement After a Second Suspension:
- After you have remained out of the University for at least two years
- For 2nd reinstatement to a Fall Term: You must apply by April 15 for a reinstatement appointment
- For 2nd reinstatement to a Spring Term: You must apply by September 1 for a reinstatement appointment
Again, students requesting reinstatement in a College of Arts and Sciences major must meet these reinstated deadlines so they are eligible to participate in an early Big Blue Nation Orientation for readmitted students BEFORE the opening of term.
The 'Request for Reinstatement' application is currently being modified and is under construction. Please recheck this site early to mid-March to request a reinstatement hearing for Fall 2024. For now, also note that for Fall 2024 reinstatement- your request and all accompanying documents must be submitted by the May 15 deadline for First Suspension students and April 15 for Second Suspension students. If you have questions about reinstatement until this site is updated, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unsure of your academic status or have any questions regarding the reinstatement process, please feel free to contact us.
A more detailed explanation of the University grading system is provided in the University Bulletin.